What Do I Do With My Fresh Produce Bounty?!!
Way to go! You signed up for a CSA this year! Most likely you have started getting your boxes of beautiful produce. If you are like many people you have gotten a few mystery items. Maybe you you pick all your produce out at the local farmer’s market but have no idea what to do with it? I have been guilty of buying produce at farmers market just to throw the wilted, moldy mass in the garbage a week later. I promised my hubs that if I signed up for a CSA we would have very little vegetable casualties, he agreed too see how this year goes. So now I have to make sure I am using it all! This summer I am going to be putting my meal plans aside to bring you one to two recipes a week. These will hopefully give you a few ideas on what to use your summer produce finds for! This week I am starting with a grilled pizza! YUMMMY! It was FABULOUS! Mmm my mouth starts watering just thinking about it! I hope you enjoy!
Mae’s Grilled Veggie Pizza
This is the FIRST pizza I have ever grilled! I have been very hesitant to put dough strait on the grill, now I am kicking myself for waiting so long!! YUM!
- your favorite pizza dough recipe (mine comes from the book below, it’s the basic crust recipe)
- grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant, young or regular garlic, jalapeno (opt), green onions
- spinach, arugula chopped in to bite sized pieces
- favorite hard cheese like Romano or Parmesan freshly shredded
- salt & pepper
- 1 can tomato paste
- italian seasoning
- Make dough, while rising prepare veggies.
- Prepare all veggies for grilling. Slice up, toss with oil, salt & pepper.
- Grill all veggies (except leafy veggies), keep a close on the the green onions and young garlic they go quick! (Check out my grilling tips HERE) Take veggies off grill and set aside to cool.
- While veggies are grilling take the leafy veggies and toss with favorite flavored vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When dough is ready toss on grill (be sure you oiled the grates and/or the dough before tossing it on), watch very closely as to not burn the bottom, check every 2 minutes or so. When bottom is done I like to flip and let the top set for 2-3 mins.
- Take dough off grill and set aside.
- Chop up the grilled tomatoes and garlic, toss in saute pan with tomato paste, salt, pepper and italian seasoning. Heat through.
- While tomato sauce heats chop up all the veggies including the green onions, set aside.
- Shred cheese.
- Spread sauce evenly over pizza crust, top with veggies (except leafy veggies) and then cheese. Broil in oven till cheese is melted to your liking.
- Once pizza is out of oven spread the leafy veggies over top.
- Slice and enjoy!!! YUM!!! 🙂
Enjoy Those VEGGIES!!!